Wednesday, January 12, 2011

LBCC Students: Stress Between Work and School

In student lives today there are many problems and stresses that can occur. Many balance between their school lives and family, while many try and be a full time student and work a job just to make ends meet. While financial aid does help with books and tuition fees there is still worry of being able to make rent, or provide fuel for vehicles, and to keep food on the table. Kiesha Joslyn, of Albany, Ore was an example of a student that balances work and school. She is an employee at Coastal Farm and Ranch, and finds ways to attend LBCC and work at a job. Joslyn stated, "I am just one of the lucky ones that can find a job. In these critical times in our country, and in the state of our economy I am blessed that I have to ability to go to work and school." Joslyn has been very successful in keeping her job life and her school life separated and under control. She manages her stress by working out at the gym and running on the treadmill. "When I'm stressed out and not sure what to do, I just drive to the Anytime Fitness and plug in my ipod and run. It makes me feel relaxed and get my mind off all the stress." For others managing work and school hasn't been so successful. Ryan Murray, 19 of Albany, Ore was willing to tell us his story. When his grades started slipping because he didn't have time to work on homework or study for tests, he decided to quit his job, and focus more on school. Murry, "It just became way over whelming, and I couldn't handle all of the stress. I would go home and not be able to sleep at night because my mind would think about what needs to get done, not about rest." He like many people encountered types of sleep insomnia because of stress related issues. For others in Ryan's situation there is help. At Linn Benton Community College there is counseling and career centers that can get you on your way to building a successful life. Mayria Short, 18 Albany, Ore is a college freshman at Oregon State University she has three jobs just to maintain tuition. Although very stressful she still manages to maintain a B average grade. Short, "I have had a lot of stress in my 3 jobs and school. Between keeping grades and making it on time to my three jobs keeps me on my toes. My bosses are very helpful and once a week I go see the guidance counselor. My bosses are very lenient and understand when I'm late or tired. It is very helpful." Managing school and work is stressing, but living with a job and being a full time student is possible. Just take it from these students. Short, "I'm just a simple girl who is trying to make a living. I take what I got and just deal with it." At a Glance: What students may be interested in: Help for career choices Who to talk to about future careers: Marci Johnston Where you can make an appointment: Linn Benton Comm. College Takena Hall 101 Contact info: 917-4786 or 967-2721 ext 265 website:http://www.linnbenton.edu/go/studentemployment

No comments:

Post a Comment